Head hurts, cranky, but not a bad day teaching. My good class continues to be good, albeit not that well-behaved. They don't seem to notice I suck.
I have five more days teaching; the Big Mo to write up lesson plans kind of isn't there. Today I used Behaviorism 101 to get the Bad Class to do work: I had brownies that I'd brought to the Good Class, and I offered them the remains. It worked, though the teacher who is about to get sacked for her Unsatisfactory rating suggested to me that it wouldn't and the kids would just get surly. Decided to ignore her; class was fine. The surly obnoxious students were no worse than usual, and the ones who are kind of swing voters got with the program and did the work.
The biggest surprise for me re student teaching: what I'm teaching and the way I prepare my lessons. The ones for the upper level class don't look like literature lessons, or like much of anything I've ever seen in English classes, except for the kind of tangential rap session that would occasionally break out when the teacher or professor felt like letting us digress. Focus is all on the kids' experience: I understand it from a motivational point of view, but it feels really narcissistic to me, in a way.
No comments:
Post a Comment