Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Prima's soi-disant Moving Up Day. I watched it with very different emotions from her kindergarten ceremony; I remember spending a lot of that ceremony counting how many times the kids in self-contained got their pictures in the slide show versus the kids whose moms were PTA honchos; when I compared notes later with a friend, turns out she was doing the same thing. Felt irritable and bittersweet that time: my child was not like everyone else's child; my worries for elementary school were not others'. I'd had to fight to get her into a mainstream placement and worried about how she'd adjust; her self-contained teacher had fought me on the placement and gave me negative reports about Prima's progress as a mainstreamed visitor (once a week she'd go into another class for about an hour; unsurprisingly, she was uncomfortable and wanted to go back to her "real" class).

This time, I still noticed that whose kids were spotlighted, but it was a much less ambivalent feeling about her specifically, her present and future in the school system. One sad thought only, that there were two who should have sat beside me.

No comments:

 
Who links to me?