And today's installment.
Primera's been impossible lately. She went to this overnight at a local Orthodox synagogue (they're trying to convert us from our sorry lapsed Conservative selves, haha), where of course the teenaged counselors put in a good pitch for the Orthodox life. I mean 24 hours, they had a lot of time to work on her. So now she wants to go to this Orthodox summer camp.
Except, ya know, I don't want to generalize about all Orthodox summer camps, but based on what I've seen of this outfit, I'd be afraid they'd let my kid wander off and be eaten by bears. The sleepover featured giant bouncy castle type things. I went in on Friday afternoon, and they were inflated. In yard-high letters on the side, there was something about qualified operator must be present at all times. So I see a man standing around and I say, "Are you the operator?" And he laughs and says no. Turns out he's a rabbi. So, uh, there are no qualified operators, and there are three enormous bouncy castles filled with helium or whatever. And the kids are bouncing around and basically no one is supervising the way a hyperconscious Long Island mom supervises. And Primera came home last night and mentioned something about bruising her foot, which probably happened when she did some kamikaze dive and landed on the Hard Floor. Could have been worse. Could have broken her ankle. Then they ended up sleeping at night in the castles of bounce, which as I mentioned are filled with like flammable air. Then she and her cousin got up at five in the morning and wandered around the building for awhile before people woke up. Could have wandered into the kitchen and decided to play with the sharp knives or something. Whatever. Kids should be supervised in dark strange places. If they're up, an adult should be up. You get the idea.
And of course Primera is perfectly fine, as she would be the first to point out. But. She's the only one of those I've got.
No comments:
Post a Comment