We Are Everywhere
I have Special Ed Mom pheromones, so powerful they can attract people in bookstores. Yesterday I was in a bookstore minding my own business and I saw this woman with a sleeping baby in a stroller reading a bunch of books. "[Incorrect stereotype about new mothers]," I thought. Then she got on her cell phone while I was trying to read.
"Blablabla toe-walking," I hear, and the antennae go up. "Blablabla feeding issues. Don't know if the speech therapist can help with it or if I should also push for an OT." ("Push for the OT!" I thought, starting to give up on my book.) "He can't hold a cup, he's not really playing with toys, but I see a big motor improvement," etc., etc. So finally she gets off the phone and I open my big mouth and we start talking about the ChAT test and Rebecca Landa and all kinds of cool things, and I gave her my number after telling her that I really was a normal person.
After spending years not wanting to live in Holland or move to AutismWorld, I seem to have crossed over so entirely that I'm creating my own gravitational pull....
No comments:
Post a Comment