Sunday, October 26, 2003

Today was the Long Island Walk Far for NAAR (National Alliance for Autism Research--I always feel like baa-ing when I say it: NAAAAAR). At any rate. Quite a huge crowd over at Eisenhower Park. As we were rounding the last curve I could see a pretty good stretch of the walk, and it made me think of those lines in The Waste Land:

Unreal City,
Under the brown fog of a winter dawn,
A crowd flowed over London Bridge, so many,
I had not thought death had undone so many.

My first thought when I saw the big crowd was, "Great! Bigger than last year," and then I thought one reason the numbers were growing was because, well, the numbers are growing.

A rainy and bilious-looking day: the band had the sense to play "Here Comes the Sun" for its opening song as we started to walk (a complaint, by the way: if you're going to have a walk attended by hundreds and hundreds of children with developmental delays, don't freaking make them stand around and wait to start walking).

At some point I'll write something cranky re the lead story in today's magazine section of the Times of New York. Or not.

No comments:

 
Who links to me?