Sunday, July 25, 2004

In Which We Go to Sesame Place

So my friend suggested I put this on my blog.  What the hey; it's my blog....

It sprinkled on us the whole way there, and then we got to Sesame Place and our hotel wasn't ready and the kids were cranky, and five minutes after we finally got to the damn park, you know that scene in "Young Frankenstein" when they're in the cemetery digging up the body and someone says, "Could be worse, could be raining"?

So anyway, there was lightning in addition to the torrential rain, and I ended up hanging out in the bathroom with a bunch of other women and kids for over half an hour (started doing "Hokey Pokey" and "Heads, Shoulders, Knees and Toes," etc., to keep ourselves from going crazy). The kids were pretty good sports about it, and after the electrical stuff stopped the spousal unit said, "I'll take them on some rides," and as you can imagine there were no lines. I'm not as big a sport as the spousal unit is, so I hung out in the bathroom with my new buds. Yes, folks, it was the vacation of a lifetime! And after everyone had been well and truly soaked, every fiber and follicle, we headed back to the hotel, changed our clothes, and I took a power nap while my better half took the kids to the park. And Secundo thought it was Awesome! And it Rocked! And then we went to the cheesy crummy Dinner with the Sesame Street Characters!, and Primera, who had been trying really hard to be blasé, because her evil friend Jesse poisoned her mind against Sesame Place by saying it was for babies, kept running up to hug Elmo and Big Bird and even the Count. Secundo was tormenting Big Bird by poking at his nose.

The mext morning both kids were absolute pills, but we still managed to last three hours, and then we decided to head to Philly, which is where I'd gone to school undergrad, so I wanted to get all nostalgic, but the kids wouldn't let me. The only thing my husband wanted to do was run up the steps of the art museum like Rocky, which we all did, and then we went inside to look at actual art (sample conversation: Primera ran over to look at some stained glass in the pre-Raphaelite mold, and first she said, "Ooh, how beautiful," and then got hysterical laughing b/c you could see the bubbies on the Goddess of Spring. There was a lot of laughing about the unclothed human form, they kept threatening to touch all the furniture on exhibit, and any picture featuring dogs was compared to our dog, generally in his favor, leading to discussions of what the dog was up to at that moment, etc.).  Secundo was whiny and horrendous the whole time we were on campus, but I got my cheese steak and criss-cross cheese fries + T-shirts, and the kids thought this broken button Claes Oldenburg sculpture was way neat to play in, so we were all happy. Well, except for the husband, who was politely bored by much of it.

Things I don't do well: put up with my kids' kidness when it involves something I'm interested in, or when I'm in full-on Pedant Mode. So I was trying to point out the difference in the way Peale represented space/dimension versus I forget who, and the kids started giggling and carrying on and I just lost patience and walked away. Another excellent parenting moment. No one was interested in my Cradle of Liberty lecture, either, harrumph.

No comments:

 
Who links to me?