Thursday, February 19, 2004

Too tired this week to write logical posts.

I was cruising around online and decided to Google myself under autism feminism shopping, and my blog was the first one that popped up. I should be writing more about shopping, I think. Less depressing. So but anyway, there was a blog or a page (can't remember) on disability studies and critical race theory (abbreviated as CRT, which I remember from back in the day stood for Cathode Ray Tube). And I was skimming it and thinking that if I'd stayed in grad school this would be a nice little niche for me.

Except I'm not brilliant like Michael Berube, who can write passionately while still dissecting the issues. I'd like to say that it's all too personal to me, I can't reduce it to an academic topic, but some people can be passionately analytical.

Was thinking about all this in relation to, say, the politics of deafness. Remember reading an article years ago about deaf culture and responses to cochlear implants: there was a highly articulate woman who was arguing against it, and I understood the logic and the passion and respected it. But. This is a judgment I've made, to keep my kid in my world. So I understand and respect Autreat at the same time I've made a judgment about my child and want her to have certain skills. And I accept that it's entirely likely she won't agree with my perspective.

[Off topic] I loved the fact that Berube claims he spends six hours a week fulminating against Bush as a drunken frat boy and demands students write papers arguing same....

No comments:

 
Who links to me?