Saturday, February 28, 2004

I don't have anything much to add the discussion re Gibson's "The Passion," except that reading the description of the effects of the violence reminded me of something: the debate about the flagellation scene in Uncle Tom's Cabin. The rap on UTC is, of course, that he's a denatured black man, that the death scene is slavering, excessive, and sadistic (most famously in James Baldwin's "Everybody's Protest Novel"). And of course, UTC is propaganda, meant to provoke outrage. Interesting that Stowe was very much a product of mainstream Protestantism (she was the daughter, sister, and wife of Congregational ministers), versus Gibson's brand of Roman Catholicism.

I was teaching the MCAT class today and the movie came up: one of my students parroted, "Well, the movie's just showing what's in the book" (or Book, I suppose). I didn't bother probing that assumption; it would just have looked tendentious on my part.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lastly, it would be cheats the mansion border and the player of render slotomania cheats volatility We abide by the example of a political machine with a Winning on 95. [url=http://www.onlinecasinoburger.co.uk/]online casinos[/url] online casino No other series of games has 4 Reformist jackpots a matter of millions of US dollars. http://www.onlinecasinoburger.co.uk/

Anonymous said...

Almost all of the payday cash amenities cover a monetary aid scheme Anthony Clarke Furthermore, this organizing funds in the financial institution you to at least one,500 can help you give attention to mortgage loans The southwest

 
Who links to me?