Thursday, January 15, 2004

Snow day, how delightful. I must say, I'm unimpressed with the amount of snow, though it's wicked cold out, so I guess road conditions are worse than usual.

Was annoyed by the article on Howard Dean's wife in the Times. But then, I have an allergy to this kind of metadiscursive piece: what does she represent, what does this tell us about modern women? Nothing, unless we're using the broadest, most obvious brush strokes to talk about our "modern" dilemma. One woman, one man, one set of choices. She sounds fairly disconnected from what's going on around her, and I probably wouldn't particularly enjoy dinner conversation with her. But I probably wouldn't enjoy it with Howard, either.

[imagine a transition]
So my daughter just came up to me with a picture of "a Chinese girl" and it had the two stereotypical horizontal lines for eyes. I told her to redraw it, with "real" eyes, because the Chinese kids she knows don't have eyes like that. She said I was mean. Which I am.

No comments:

 
Who links to me?