Finished Saxon Math 1 with the oldest this week. I still owe her a party for going through the whole book, but we are now onto the shiny new edition of second grade math, which looks to be rather too much a review of what's in the first grade curriculum. I can switch to Singapore if need be.
I've gone over to the Dark Side of homeschooling/supplemental schooling in some ways: the side of me that hasn't quite abandoned the humanist dream has resorted to making my daughter copy out Rossetti poems and illustrate them. Yeah, that's what she needs: Rossetti poems, not social skills. I can't stop myself, though: same reason I insisted on piano lessons, because I've bought into this very bourgeois middlebrow notion of what constitutes an educated person. I can be as ironical as I want to, but it's still what I'm using to indoctrinate my kids.
Hypocrite lecteur, etc.
I've thought of a niche, though I'm sure someone else has filled this void: homeschooling materials for non-conservative non-Christians, though they're all probably busy unschooling their kids.
No comments:
Post a Comment